Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Virtue!!!!

 The Christlike Attribute for this week is Virtue. What is Virtue? In the Dictionary it says that Virtue is; moral excellence; goodness; righteousness. So what does it mean to have Virtue or be Virtuous? To me I think of Virtue as having your thoughts and actions clean. There is a quote from Preach My Gospel that I like it says, "What you choose to think and do when you are alone and you believe no one is watching is a strong measure of your virtue." I think that is awesome. Sometimes we think that is okay to do something when no one is around. But something that is always quoted is "God is always watching." There is something else that Preach My Gospel says, "Your mind is like a stage in a theater; in the theater of your mind, however, only one actor can be on stage at a time. If the stage is left bare, thoughts of darkness and sin often  enter the stage to tempt. But these thoughts have no power if the stage of your mind is occupied by wholesome thoughts, such as a memorized hymn or verse of scripture that you can call upon in a moment of temptation. By controlling the stage of your mind, you can successfully resist persistent urges to yield to temptation and indulge in sin." This is so true. As a missionary satan works very hard on us to have bad thoughts and not be virtuous. But I have learned that if I sing a hymn or think of a scripture that the bad thought goes away. We always need to keep our thoughts clean. The Following is a Video of a song called " Guardians of Virtue" It is a Young Woman song and the message it contains is awesome!

 

I just want to end with 2 quotes. The first is from our current Prophet, and the second one is from our last Prophet. 

"You will need [courage] to be chaste and virtuous. You live in a world where moral values have, in great measure, been tossed aside, where sin is flagrantly on display, and where temptations to stray from the strait and narrow path surround you. Many are the voices telling you that you are far too provincial or that there is something wrong with you if you still believe there is such a thing as immoral behavior.
"Isaiah declared, 'Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness' (Isaiah 5:20).
"Great courage will be required as you remain chaste and virtuous amid the accepted thinking of the times."

"Supernal blessings are promised to those who walk in virtue before the Lord and before all men.
"How wonderful are the ways of our Lord. How glorious His promises."

I end with my testimony that I know that this Church is True. That Joseph Smith Restored Christ True Church back to the earth. I know that as we keep ourselves Virtuous that we will be blessed. And as we strive to be more Virtuous the more we will become like our Savior Jesus Christ. 
 

1 comment:

  1. Elder Swaner I'm so happy anD excited to too see this blog!! Great job my good friend. Keep pouring that burning testimony to ALL you can. Tell jack jack hello for me the next time you see him. Have a stelleer day!

    To all who read this: Keep reading Elder Swaners posts. I promise you that you will feel the holy ghost as you read these words intently. He is a man of God with a special gift to bring souls unto Christ.

    ReplyDelete